----- Original Message -----
From: "Dana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "cf-community" <cf-community@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: Its not just about you

>I am in favor of quality, no argument there. However, I am not aware
> of any clinic funded with medicaid funds. They may *accept* it but it
> doesn't provide funding for them. Perhaps in Alaska? This is the only
> free clinic in albuquerque as far as I know:

Medicaid doesn't FUND the clinics but Medicaid IS socialized medicine.

The clinics are FEDERALLY FUNDED to provide care to the underinsured and
uninsured  - they receive a grant to offset the costs of sliding fee scales
for folks who don't have insurance and don't qualify for medicaid.

They are called Community Health Centers.  The Albuquerque Health Care for
the Homeless clinic is a version of the CHC which is specifcially for
homeless folks - and is listed on the HRSA find a CHC website as such.
However the program is much larger than this.  And the clinics are NOT FREE
CLINICS - people have to be served regardless of their ability to pay.

Some in albuquerque are:
  1ST CHOICE - LOS PADILLAS
 2127 Los Padillas Rd. S.W., Albuquerque, NM 87105-7189

FIRST CHOICE COMMUNITY HEALTH CARE
 (~ 68.35 miles away)
 2001 N. Centro Familiar Bou, Albuquerque, NM 87105

> http://www.abqhch.org/medical.htm
>
> and it is privately funded with providers who donate oen day a month
> and the like.

IT also receives a FEDERAL grant.  The program is actually a VERY successful
one that apparently saves a ton of medicaid money - one of the few "worth
it" federal programs:  More info here:  http://bphc.hrsa.gov/about/