On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> > You don't think she'll continue wearing much of that wardrobe?  People
> seem
> >to just be looking for something to be outraged about.  This isn't a
> matter
> >of going out and spending $150k for a week's worth of wardrobe.  This is
> >taking a woman who is a small town mayor and presumably didn't have the
> >wardrobe that one might expect a VP candidate (or even a VP) to own.
>
> Uh, did you forget she's the *governor* of her state? I find it hard to
> believe she does not have a decent wardrobe at this point, certainly not to
> the point that it required "borrowing" such a large amount of the campaign
> finances to deal with.
>
> I'm also not sure I want to even think about what it means that the people
> telling her what to do seem to think that the way to "fix" her image is to
> pretty her up in a bunch of fancy clothes. We'll elect someone like Bush
> that likes to portray an image of a guy next door in jeans and drinking a
> beer...but a woman has to be attractive and dressed to the nines for people
> to vote for them? I just don't get it.

I'm not convinced that the Governor of Alaska would necessarily have that
"level" of wardrobe.

For me personally, I'd be happy to see her wearing jeans and drinking a
beer.  I'm not a suit-and-tie person myself.  My wardrobe is pretty much a
pair of jeans and a t-shirt.  On fancy occasions I'll spiffy myself up by
wearing a polo shirt.

The fact that a candidate (be it man or woman) has to be attractive and
dressed to the nines for people to vote for them is a failing of society
(one of many), not a failing of the particular candidate.  As the saying
goes, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Society as a whole puts the
attractive folk up on a pedestal.  I think that works as much in Obama's
favor as it does Palin's.  Comparing Obama's charisma to McCain's isn't even
close to being a fair fight.  Obama carries himself well.  He presents
himself well.  He speaks well.  I wholeheartedly believe that a good number
of Obama supporters (I'm not saying a majority, but a fair number I'm sure)
don't even hear the message that he's sending... they just see a charismatic
man and are strangely comforted by that.

Same with Palin.  Same with any candidate really.  My wife liked Edwards
because he was "good lookin'" (her words).  We live in a superficial
society.  No other way to explain Paris Hilton.

As a society, our "news" is largely delivered by Barbie and Ken.  Doesn't
matter what market or what channel.  That's who we are.

So yeah, they dressed Palin up.  They're marketing their product and trying
to sell it.  Some will buy.  Some won't.  But that's the game of marketing
that the Presidential Campaign has become, and is.

--
I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my
wife. And I wish you my kind of success.