I still remember how my dad explained skin color to me when I was
about 5.  He said that when God made us, he baked us in the oven like
cookies, and some just got left in the oven longer.

It wasn't a perfect explanation, but it certainly emphasized that we
were all basically the same.

Dad was a musician, traveled all over the south playing gigs.  If his
fellow musicians were banned from eating inside a restaurant, he would
go around back to the kitchen door for his food and eat with them.

Because of this, I escaped from any of stereotypical racist
indoctrination so prevalent in the south.  In fact, the only negative
comment my dad ever made about  a person of color was that he hated
the smell of their hair oil, to which I replied that it smelled better
than his Old Spice.  He never wore Old Spice again.