Oz was done by the same team that did Homicide, Life on the Streets,
also one of the best shows ever.  For some reason, I love cop shows.

You won't regret getting the Wire.  There is one five minute scene in
season one where tow of the detectives are reviewing a crime scene
that is worth the purchase of the whole series.

Season Two of The Wire is my favorite, although the final season has
some of the most powerful acting I've ever seen in any medium.  One of
the best actors, who played a kid named Michael, is now on the new
version of Beverly Hills 90210.  It makes me want to weep.