I don't know anything about Japanese Government sponsored healthcare.  Is
it just Toyota and Honda that gets it or every citizen?  Because if it is
just Toyota and Honda then I could see a point.  But even then the only
way we can level the playing field is government sponsored health care for
everyone.

Moreover, the legacy cost that is killing GM and F is benefits being paid
out to ppl who no longer work for the company.  Look, these ppl earned
those pension rights and they deserve it.  But at the same time, that was
a decision between F/GM and its workers.

The banking system needed a bailout because a) it was a very healthy
system before this collapse b) it's the most important system that can
cripple the economy if it fails c) they have correctable problems.

For whatever reason, fair or not, the automotive industry has problems
that cannot be fixed without major changes.  Look, if I was the head
honcho in charge, I would make every effort to save any and all
jobs/industries.  But really, I have to ask myself, "what is the best use
for this buck for the greatest amount of ppl."  I used to look at quotes
for F and GM all the time.  Hell, did you know there was a time when the
Market Cap for HDI (Harley) was greater than GM?  These are not healthy
companies that ran into a 1 in a million probability of the perfect (sh!t)
storm. Moreover, until recently, every quarter that Toyota reported was a
record quarter.