Ubuntu and whatnot are dandy desktop OSes.

For servers?

Cent OS is fine, just fine.

Package management seems to be pretty much 6 of one, half dozen of another.

I like BSDs ports, truth be told.

Well, *real* truth be told, I like them all.

And really really, I like compiling the crap and whatnot too, most
times.  Fighting those library conflicts by hand, like real men do.
:-)p

Seriously tho, there is a GREAT debate about how to handle libraries,
in general (DLLs, etc.).

Seems sorta like the "one big server"  "No, lots of little computers" arguments.

For *years* it rages, sometimes this way, sometimes that.  I quite
like it, for some reason.

But it *is* fucking marvelous, to see the odious work rather magically
done for you.

When it all works as it should, of course (more often than not, these
days *sigh* ;]).

--
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
Aristotle