Sites aren't nearly as important on hand gun as on a rifle.  Especially for
the smaller barreled ("snub nose") models commonly used for self-defense.
Aiming well with them at any distance is a matter of practice, patience and
a high familiarity with how that specific weapon acts.

Besides, if you're looking to defend yourself then there's really no
problem: anybody close enough to you warrant actually shooting at them is
too close to aim at with the sites anyway.  Anybody far enough away to
warrant measured aim with the sites is too far away to shoot at -
brandishing the weapon (or a warning shot at most) should do nicely.

If you can't hit an average-sized guy at less than 10' away then messed up
sites aren't your problem.  If you're shooting at people at more than 10'
away then messed up sites are the least of your worries.  ;^)

Jim Davis