I've got a NetGear ReadyNAS. Seems to work pretty well. I use it to store
server backups and haven't had any problems to date.

Just map a drive and away you go. Had the setup done in under 10.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:16 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: RE: NAS

I LOVE my Infrant (now NetGear) NAS boxes.  I have the older (branded
Infrant) ReadyNAS and a newer (branded NetGear) ReadyNAS NV.  Both units use
the same firmware (BSD on a chip) and so have the same capabilities although
the newer unit is about 30% smaller and features completely hot-swappable
disks.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/ReadyNASNVPlus.aspx
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php
http://www.readynas.com/forum/

I've got four 400 GB drives in the old box and 4 TB drives in the new.

Up to four 1TB SATA drives in multiple RAID configurations (I use RAID 5).
Up to 1 Gig of RAM (user replaceable).  On board print server/usb storage
manager/UPS manager, several streaming media services, complex quota and
emergency management, network "recycle bin", scheduler (for backups, media
indexing, etc), and lots more.

You can add plug-ins for additional capabilities or to get direct command
line access to the box.  Once you open command line access you can install
(taking into account the processor and memory limitations) pretty much
anything you want.  People set up home routers/firewalls on them, additional
media servers, mail servers, etc.

Active firmware development and user community and AMAZING (and free)
technical support provided via the forums.  My new box hit a firmware glitch
where the system partition filled with failed media server logs: support
walked me through opening a port on my firewall, restarting the system in
"support" mode, telneted into it and fixed the problem.

Can't praise the hardware or software enough.

The only major downside is the price - NetGear wants $1000 for the driveless
unit (although I think there's a much cheaper "home" edition with only two
drives called the "ReadyNAD Duo" I'm not sure of its capabilities).  I got
both of mine on eBay for significantly less.

Jim Davis