There are difficulties in gettng the money to the local contractor levels.
Too much being skimmed off the top before it is doled out. There is still
some corruption at the top and according to our CA guys here, these issus
are being worked out. But the money is Iraqi money now and less US money.
Iraq does not have near the level of checks and balances that we have to
ensure that federal funds get to where they are supposed to go, and so it is
a lot easier for the Iraqi officials to keep more for either them or their
own special interests. This is still a new government and so obviously there
are a lot of things that need to be worked out.
Fortunately eliminating or reducing the levels of corruption here are not
keys to getting us home sooner. Security of the country is. Almost all of
the provinces in Iraq have had their security turned over to the IA, putting
them up front and us as support, which puts us closer to going home, or
Afghanistan.