You really believe that? When was the last time you actually stood face to
face with an Iraqi who remembers quite vividly what life was like during the
Saddam era?
I am fortunate that I get this opportunity almost every day. And I am not
talking about the average Joe on the street. I also have the opportunity to
talk with communite leaders. Just yesterday my platoon and our company
commander had brunch with a very prominent Sheikh in the area. We get to
learn first hand what life was like before we came, and what their life is
like now, and what they hope their lives will be in the future. It is very
exciting to see these transformations first hand.
Anyway, they don't paint a very rosy picture of life under Saddam.
Yes, there was an infrastructure. It was fragile at best as the millions
that Iraq made mostly went to Saddam so he could build his very lavish
palace complexes, of which ther are many.
Everyone lived in constant fear. The Saddam Fedayeed (sp) were everywhere
looking and listening for anyone speaking ill of him or the Ba'ath party.
If anyone or any group even thought of overthowing Saddam, they were met
with fast and furious death and torture. The mass graves that have been
found over the years are proof of this.
When we came in, the people working to support the infrastructure left and
almost immediately everything went to shit.
They had three state run television stations, and they pretty much only
broadcasted information that was pro saddam and anti everyone else.
Their news paper was full of propaganda that was also pro saddam and anti
everyone else.
They could not own a cell phone and they could not have internet in their
homes. For the average person, they had to go to something like a phone
center to call anyone.

So while there is still more violence now than there was before we got here,
the majority of Iraqi's that I have talked to are all still glad that Saddam
and his cronies are gone. They also know that their legitimate government is
still new and there is still a lot of work to be done to make it work. They
are under no false pretenses that this is going to happen overnight. It is
going to take time.
They are also aware that the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police have taken over
security in almost all of Iraq's provinces. This is a big help as they are
seeing more of their own people patroling the streets and less of us.

Bruce