On the CNN site, the gray expands to fill the entire page, leaving the
colors on white background to draw your attention.

On the Good Day Sacramento site, the gray is only behind the content,
leaving a huge white border on each side which causes your eye to
travel out away from the content.   It gives more contrast between the
elements of the page and causes it to appear more cluttered.  The
bright colored banner at the top adds another distraction.

Also, the Good Day Sac site has way too many fonts in too many different sizes.

Personally,  I also don't like rounded corners - everyone is using
them and they are so last year.