U.S. Army Deserter Seeks Asylum In Germany
BERLIN, Dec. 2, 2008(AP)

A U.S. soldier who deserted after serving in Iraq declared Tuesday he
has applied for asylum in Germany.

Army Spc. André Shepherd said he deserted from his unit's Katterbach
base in April 2007 after returning from a six-month deployment in
Iraq, where he was a mechanic working on Apache attack helicopters in
Tikrit.

"We went to war basically for nothing," Shepherd, of Cleveland, Ohio,
told The Associated Press. "There's no way I would go back for a
second tour with the information that I have since received."

Shepherd has been staying with friends in southern Germany since going
AWOL and working odd jobs to support himself.

Germany should grant him asylum, Shepherd said, because of its strong
opposition to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

"The Germany government already declared the war illegal in 2005,"
Shepherd said.

The Interior Ministry, which oversees migration and asylum, could not
be reached for comment Tuesday.

Shepherd applied for asylum last week, said Tim Huber, director of the
Germany-based Military Counseling Network, a group that has been
assisting him.

U.S. Army Europe spokesman Bruce Anderson confirmed that Shepherd
served in the Army's 12th combat aviation brigade but would not
comment on the asylum application.

Shepherd's bid for asylum follows that of U.S. Army Spc. Jeremy
Hinzman, who in September won a last-minute stay of deportation from
Canada after a judge there ruled he could remain while awaiting a
decision on whether he could appeal a deportation order.

Hinzman faces charges in the United States of fleeing to avoid duty in
Iraq. He had served a tour in Afghanistan during his three years in
the Army, but has argued that the war in Iraq is immoral and illegal.