The article also mentions that some political appointees stay on for a
couple weeks or months into a new administration until new people are
brought into the posts. The primary difference in this case is that
all of them will be replaced come January 20th. The fact that they
will be replaced is routine, the fact that the Obama team seems to
plan on having people in place day 1 is the unusual part. I would
think that it speaks to the fact that the transition team is doing
rather more upfront work than has been the case in the past rather
than some political retribution angle, but newspapers like conflict
even if they have to make it up.

"Obama cleans house!" is more of a headline than "Team performs
function faster than normal and competently".

Judah