Speaking as a confirmed catholic, the saints are just another avenue to the
grace of God. At no point are these people deified, although this is a
common misconception fostered by people who know little about / want a bone
to pick with the religion. They stand as examples of people living with
great faith, and praying to them is considered asking them to make an appeal
to God on your behalf.

My favorite saint, who I pray to daily, is Elizabeth Anne Seton. She was a
single mother who promoted the cause of education and started the first
parochial school in the United States. Her story is worthy of admiration;
her husband lost the family forune and died, leaving her to take care of
four small children in a foreign land. She converted to Catholicism (she was
the daughter of a minister of another branch of christian faith,
Presbyterian, I think) after returning to the US and was met with rejection
by all of her family and friends. Living off her meager earnings as a
teacher, she was able to begin schools in New York and Baltimore before
establishing the Sisters of Charity, a group which tends to the needs of the
poor and infirm. This group remains active to this day.

I imagine the fact she was able to do so much with so little material
resources should stand as a great example to anyone of any faith. The
consequences of her life to modern conceptions of equality, education and
social ethics are tremendous. But her importance as a saint lies much in the
fact that people can turn to her story to find strength in their own lives,
and know that grace and dignity are possible despite tremendous odds and
challenges.

I could say more about the deification argument against saints, but I think
I will reserve comment until I hear a response or two.