On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM, G Money wrote:
> Nothing...the statute is not a crock, it's the enforcement. How can you
> prove or disprove probable cause?

This is a frightening concept.

We tell by using definitions of/for things -- and the definitions have
gotten entirely too fuzzy for comfort.

The money being made off of the crap (I'm thinking DEA, seizures and
whatnot) makes it more and more prevalent, and if The Man can make a
buck or too at the expense of one's rights, well...

> I got pulled over because the cop said I started from a stopped position at
> a red light before the light actually turned green.
>
> That was his probable cause. How could I fight that even if I wanted too?

Dude, you'd be surprised at what even a "moderately" paid attorney can
do for you.  Generally the more you pay the better your chances, but I
bet you could have gotten the charges tossed, had you been more
aggressive.

Personally, I'm not too aggressive (heh) so I'd have done the same
thing, and rolled with it (plus, my dad has this story about the nuns
punishing "innocents" ;] ), but I would be very afraid if I actually
thought "how could I fight that?" -- until we give up ALL our hard-won
idea[l|s], there is always a fight possible.

Which is good and bad, but hey, I prefer options, even if they're crappy.

--
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved
only for God and angels to be lookers on.