My guess was 50 states, and 7 major territories or possession? (Puerto Rico,
Guam, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, etc)

But no, according to the Obama folk, they say he started to say 50, but
realized it was wrong mid sentence and tried to adjust to 47 (48 contiguous
states, minus the one he hadn't visited yet, plus the two non-contiguous he
mentions later in the sentence.)

What he said

"... it is just wonderful to be back in Oregon, and over the last 15
months we've traveled to every corner of the United States.  I've now
been in fifty .... seven states? I think one left to go. One left to
go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really
wanted to visit but my staff would not justify it."

So, it was either a slip of the tongue, or he really doesn't know how many
states there are in the US.

I know which one I would bet on.

(Heck, I would bet even George W Bush knows the number of states)