I forgot to type out the rest of my email...

There is still a war between North and South Korea in the Korean DMZ as
there is no peace treaty.  So, the answer to your question
"The border between North and South Korea is not preventing a war?" is no.

Borders start wars.  The most crude being military campaigns that
eventually mature into complex political and economic ones.  Look at the
ridicules tariffs or dollar pegging by the Japanese and Chinese.  And the
US isn't even officially at "war" with these countries.  That is what
makes the political and economic wars so dangerous.  We pretend to be
friends but it's a dog eat dog world out there.  Each country is morally
bound to try to do what is best for its country.  Sometimes that is what
is best for everyone.  Sometimes it is not.

Borders also protect its citizens.