"Frank resides in a studio apartment complex in Newton, Massachusetts. His
boyfriend, Jim Ready, 39, is a surfing enthusiast whom Frank met during a
gay political fund raiser in Maine, where Ready still lives. His sister, Ann
Lewis, served as a senior adviser in Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential
campaign.

Frank came out as gay in 1987, "prompted in part by increased media interest
in his private life...." Another Congressman from Massachusetts, Gerry
Studds, became the first openly gay federal legislator in 1983, when it was
revealed that he had had a relationship with a 17-year-old male page a
decade earlier during a Congressional sex scandal. Frank's announcement had
little impact on his electoral prospects."