Not at all - these are not "basic changes" - these are core, fundamental
changes.  At least as far as I see it.

There are certain conventions that are being followed (not "Outlook
conventions" but "OS conventions") that don't scale past certain points
well.  This is a fundamental problem for many use cases - general
file/folder management, searching, etc.  Changing it would take specific
(and new) processes for Outlook that modify these standards.

So the problem remains: how much do you spend to address a problem that only
affects a small (very small) minority of your users?  Do you make changes
that might assist those users but change the conventions for others?  Do you
risk stability for the majority by modifying core features for a minority?

I'm not saying that MS CAN'T do anything - I'm challenging the idea that
because they haven't they must be a "bad company".  These are the kind of
basic decisions that every company goes through (yes, even Google).  They're
exacerbated by compatibility concerns, customer requests, etc so may be more
complex for established, large install-base applications, but they're basic
nonetheless.

They're not going to turn Outlook into an application that pleases everybody
or is suited to everybody - they'd be crazy to try.

> > I still consider Outlook absolutely best of breed, personally
> (especially
> > after being forced to use Notes for the past three years).
>
> We disagree here.  Being "least shitty full featured desktop email
> program" doesn't make is best of anything in my book.

Then we disagree.

But it still sounds like your problem is common to all desktop email
programs, not just Outlook.

> > There's definitely work to be done here - but the fact of the matter
> is that
> > this problem (massive amounts of mail) is definitely a "1 percenter"
>
> You better not let anyone see you wearing that patch unless you really
> know what you are talking about.  :)

I have no idea what this means?  ;^)

Jim Davis