Any DLNA-compliant server works.

On the XP box I use the one built-in to Windows Media player 11 (you do NOT
need to keep the player open to stream or start streaming, just to manage
the service) and the one built into my NAS box for everything else.

But nearly any of them will work and most are free: Google Media, Orb, Nero
Home, tVersity, PS3 Media Server, iTunes, etc.  For audio they all work
pretty much the same and all work pretty much as advertised (there's a lot
of differences in video support however).

My only real complaint is that most of the games that support custom
soundtracks do not support streaming, only local files (which I guess is to
reduce network usage for gaming... but still!)

Jim Davis