> Scott wrote:
> particular doctor.  Now tell me, how can a doctor dictate what a hospital
> charges for use of its bed and staff? He/she cannot, so I think you need to
> rethink your hypothesis on where the blame lies.
> I'd be willing to bet that most times the highest bill will come from the
> facility where a procedure/test was performed and not from the physician who
> ordered/performed the test/procedure or read/interpreted the results.

Forget the word "doctor", and any ownership/kickbacks they may get
from labs, and change it to "provider".

The blame is same: the doctors, nurses, labs, clinics, et al charge
you a bill you cannot afford so you try to indemnify yourself with
insurance.

What that means is that you're selling your risk of bills which you
can't afford to someone else.

The problem is, of course, that the risk of an average American
getting bills they cannot afford goes up as the costs go up.

Therefore insurance companies buy less risk, therefore less people are
covered, therefore more bankruptcies, therefore less healthcare.

Rootcause?

A bill you cannot afford, delivered by providers who's costs aren't
controlled by your choice