On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Vivec wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/21/AR2009062101726_2.html?wprss=rss_nation&sid=ST2009062200350
>
> Among West Africans, a chance mutation in the blood protein hemoglobin
> turned out to partially protect against malaria. It rapidly became
> common in places where malaria was a huge threat to survival.

I hate when journalists fail to adequately explain details like this. The
sickle-cell mutation became common-place in West Africa because people who
had it were less likely to be bitten by mosquitoes and therefore less likely
to contract malaria. The mutation itself did nothing to actually protect
against malaria, it just made the people who had it less likely to be
bitten, specifically because their blood carries less oxygen and therefore
they exhale less carbon dioxide, which is what mosquitoes are attracted to.

For anyone that wants to understand more about genetics and how closely
linked we all are (we share 99% of our DNA with chimps, so just imagine how
much we share with each other), I highly recommend a stint at a biotech/life
sciences company or organization.