I spent my time on punch cards. I will never forget the need for the ; in
the 72nd column of each row. Or the high cost of a typo. Or of dropping the
card stack.

And that pain taught me the benefits of social engineering, creative lock
workarounds, and hacking, the combination of which got me (unauthorized)
access to a CRT terminal. Ah, that was nice.

One of my favorite first computing memories was keying in the Star Trek game
onto a PDP11 my father had access to. Took me a week, but finally got it
running. Then learned to chang the words of the game. Loved it. And decided
me down the path of software over hardware (to my father's everlasting
disappointment)