> first off, does each and every atheist believe this
> way or could you possibly be painting with and
> incredibly large brush.  I know I don't get up and
> affirm to myself "I believe there is no god", ...

Nor do most Christians wake up and say, "Wow, so glad Jesus saved me!"  Some
do, some don't, but that's the idea of Christianity, right?  Just as the
idea of atheism is a belief that there is no god.  I'm not attacking
individuals or the extent to which they believe in the idea, just that I see
a contradiction in that idea and that it doesn't work for me.

> "At least agnostics admit their ignorance and just
> say "I don't know" with complete honesty"
>
> hey, nothing to take offense in there right.  it's
> not like you imply that atheists are ignorant, but
> they just won't admit it.

Perhaps I could have worded that better, but the whole idea of faith is to
believe that the idea is correct in the absence of evidence.  The absence of
evidence implies ignorance about the facts, so by definition anything that
relies on faith requires a certain amount of ignorance, and that's not a bad
thing in and of itself, or something to take offense to.  That's just the
nature of the beast.  Perhaps there is a god, perhaps there isn't.  There's
nothing wrong with choosing a particular belief system and sticking to it if
it works for you.  However, there really isn't any way to really know and
prove unequivocally that any one of the competing ideas is correct,
otherwise the debate would have been settled long ago.  A certain amount of
ignorance has to be accepted as a part of faith in something.  That's the
basis of the statement someone else quoted earlier, "I am ignorant, and so
are you."  Sorry if that offends you.

> I'll admit though, my earlier post about the zombie
> thing was offensive and really not called for -- I
> still need work in this area.

That was a caricature of Christianity that I doubt anyone would seriously
take offense to.  My suggestion in all of this would be to not take things
like this personally.  I'm looking at concepts and ideas and pointing out my
own observations about them.  I'm not attacking you personally, or anyone
else for that matter.  Just because we don't drive the same car doesn't mean
I don't like you. :)

-Justin