We don't even know how smart this guy is, as his 'hack' doesn't seem
to have been very elaborate at all.
It seems more like incompetence on the part of the US than anything else.

Why it is so sad is that he's probably going to fall victim to the
middle ages styled penal and justice system of the United States, and
be destroyed as a person in the process.
Just the mere fact that they are claiming notional damages of
700,000.00 that they can never actually prove, and using that as the
basis for incarcerating him is enough
to tell the direction in which this is going. This isn't some sort of
claim or civil suit where the judge needs to look at punitive damages,
we're talking about a man's life, and from what we have read there was
zero damage actually done. Instead there is a lot of talk about the
damage that could have, might have, possibly,assumed and theoretically
been done.

Why don't they assume they extradited him and don't.