So, I took the courage to have wiped out everything on a hard drive running xp
pro from compaq bought zillions years ago (2001), and have it reformatted with
recovery cd for laptop for want of its own recovery cd, so, as far as OS goes,
it's a dead animal.  Chatting with HP rep, found out, oh sir, has it been 4 or
5 years old we'll send you a recovery cd bla bla, now find a third party
reseller for your OS recovery bla bla... Now, back to the reason of going
postal, a clean machine for testing.  Also, would most of the freshmen this
fall have windows laptops on xp, vista or 7?  bestbuy, stapls all display vista
laptops out there in my region, a few with 7. I'll go with the windows os that
these kids laptops would use. your take?  who might have a better answer?
thanks.