> g Money wrote:
>
> indeed, which is why i've got one.

But the traditionals for people that don't qualify for Roth still have
the benefit of staying tax-free while the interest accrues.  The idea
is that if you were taxed today you'd be taxed at a higher rate than
in retirement plus you'd lose those funds in the interest calculation.

So a traditional is still a good deal, just not as good as a Roth.

But in 2010 Bush says if you don't quality for a Roth, no problem, you
can convert!

Which makes you wonder why we need the policy distinction in the first
place.  I mean why not rescind the Roth qualifications wholesale and
make them available to all no matter your income?

and since this was done in 2005, Republicans would've owed everything
so why did they only remove the rules for one year and not all years?

So what we're left with is 2 possibilities:

(1.) Roth income restrictions are stupid policy, but the Republicans
were too dumb to remove them for more than a year, or

(2.) Roth income restrictions are a good policy, but even so the
Republicans passed a quick little give away against their own better
policy judgment.  Just couldn't keep their hands our of the till.

Which do you think it was?