I don't know off the top of my head, but I'd probably look into
embedding COM objects.

Alternatively, take a look at LiveCycle Digital Signature. I'm
investigating it a bit right now and it might be what you are looking
for. There are extensions to Acrobat that allow for digital
signatures. You could hook up a digital signature pad, record the
image of the signature along with the typed initials to each signature
area in a PDF Form and then cryptographically bind the whole document
to show that there has been no tampering. The main issue after that is
keeping an audit trail in place to show chain of custody.

Judah