Hear hear!
  Speaking as someone who wants to make a living creating music...

  The music industry has a long been taking advantage of artists.  (I.E. A
platinum record--1 million copies sold--could net the band ~$30,000 dollars
after all the 'recoupable expenses are taken out'--that means $7,500 each
in a four-man band)

  With file sharing, the consumers can now go off and exploit the artists
directly.  While this is probably some form of progress, it still irks
me.  File-sharing isn't gonna hurt me, because no one has ever heard of my
band.  File sharing isn't going to hurt Michael Jackson or Madonna because
they can afford millions of dollars to get airplay on TV and commercial
Radio.

  I think file sharing is going to hurt the mid-level bands who are touring
constantly and on the brink of making it (Bands like Great Big Sea and
Guster).  They don't have the sales volume to make any money off the
record, yet enough people know about them to look for, find, and grab their
music for free.

  It hasn't been proven to me whether file sharing helps or hurts the sales
of records.  I do believe that it could be used to help promote an act.  I
believe the act (it's management / record company / lawyers ) should be
making those decisions, not some random person who bought their CD.

--
Jeffry Houser | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Need a Web Developer?  Contact me!