On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:

>> It still doesn't change the fact that we need to do anything we can to help
>> slow the process. We are 10 years away from manned scientific mission to
>> another planet becoming a reality (if all goes well...and it probably wont).
>> That would translate to 100's if not 1000's of years before any non
>> scientific colonization. It's best we do what we can to take care of Mother
>> Earth...proof or not.
>
> Wait - what?!  How do the two have anything to do with each other?

Right now, all our eggs are in one basket, so to speak, so we better
care for that basket.

Rob's argument is basically "the basket is so big, and we're so
small-- it's arrogant to think we could affect something as grand as a
planet", which seems patently false, to my logic, but I probably get
something else from the Science News articles than he does (There's
*no way* we could affect, like, bee migrations and whatnot! Plus,
they're so small, and we're so big... ;]).

> Also, have you ever considered the carbon footprint of any kind of
> space exploration program?

I'd rather it be from space exploration, than my fat ass lugged around
by an oil-derivative eating combustion engine.

There are *soooooo* many reasons why we need to colonize space.

Re:  eggs -- Re: Environmental collapse -- Re:  large object in space
collision -- Re: Viruses

Tho the meditation is an interesting alternative....  who knows the
power of the mind, neh?

--
Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?
Confuciu