I have an exchange account for my wife and I. I am considering changing over
to use GMail for mail and use my IPhone with it.

The nice things I liked about using Exchange is that when Exchange receives
a message, my iphone will get it also. I do not have to wait for POP or
anything else.
Also when I add items to the calendar or contacts, it is populated both in
Exchange and iPhone without having to do a manual sync.

The biggest items I was looking at using was the GMail, Calendar, Contacts.

With the IPhone, will it use the iPhone calendar and contacts functionality
for the GMail contacts and such or will it use the web interface from
Google?

I am not a huge fan of Google Docs since I do some rather large documents
and can be cumbersome in Google Docs. What is everyone's take on Google
Docs? I think it is great for simple documents and spreadsheets but when it
gets complexed, I don't think Google Docs is robust enough.