you can turn on/off the put dependent files in the preferances.
i always leave it off, and don't allow put on save.
i only upload to ftp by using Ctrl-Shift-U
personally i love dw as a text editor, as well as visual editor.

i use ultra edit because i can use column editing of block of text..
wish dw had that,,