From: Robert Munn [mailto:cfmuns...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:17 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: completely erase hard drive - software recommendations

I'm no expert, but if you really want effective destruction of the
data, shouldn't you destroy the platters? I heard a story from a
reputable source about a company that had a military contract to
dispose of computer equipment at a military base. Supposedly someone
found Chinese spies digging through waste and checking disposed drives
with electrical equipment to try and find useful info. After that the
contractor instituted a process where they had the drives totally
destroyed - down to dust. I can't verify whether that's true or not,
just saying - if having that data out in public would substantially
damage your career, I say go all the way.