http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/world/europe/21cloud.html?ref=world

"A new cloud of volcanic ash was headed toward Britain on Tuesday,
increasing the uncertainty about the prompt return of air traffic to
parts of the British Isles, according to the organization that
controls air traffic in the area.

 “The volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened, and a new ash
cloud is spreading south and east toward the U.K.,” the British
National Air Traffic Services, or NATS, said in a statement posted on
its Web site early Tuesday. “This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly
changing conditions in which we are working.”

On Monday, European officials announced that all European airspace
would be opened to air traffic above elevations of 20,000 feet."

This entire situation could be disastrous...it already is ridiculous.

I haven't seen estimates of the amount of money being lost, and we've
only heard from a few passengers.
What about those with low finances, jobs, children at home etc. ?
To be stranded in another country with nowhere to go or unable to
afford a hotel and food is a terrible thing.

The other concern is that Airlines have long done the math and worked
out that compensating every passenger on an aircraft in the event of a
total loss of life is cheaper most times than grounding planes.
I therefore don't trust at all their analysis that it is 'safe' to fly
through Ash.

The problem with the Ash Cloud is that there is no way to
differentiate it from regular cloud via Radar, so its position will
need to be constantly updated from satellites and relayed to aircraft.
Now couple this with the fact that particulates can actually affect
planes hundreds of miles away from it...and there's a real concern
about saf