On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Larry C. Lyons wrote:

> What is the difference between a cop watching you through a camera and
> a cop watching you from his patrol car, or for that matter while he or
> she is walking or bicycling down the street.
>
> As far as I can see its the same thing.

I guess if you severely limit what you consider to be happening, it's
the same thing happening.  Id est, "eyes on you".

If you are a little more worldly, however, you'll note that there is
*quite* a bit of difference.

First of all, it's important not to underrate the value of a "visual"
deterant.  The eye in the sky is more like God, and people fear God a
lot less than they do a uniformed officer of the law.

I'll bet you money that an officer sitting on a horse in an
intersection deters *way* more speeders than a nondescript camera at
the very same intersection.

Second of all, I'm not going to add another, as there's like at least
5 fundamental differences between physically "being there" and
"virtually there".

Do your freaking research, man.  This is just plain lazy, and not of
the quality I'd expect from a difference-noter such as yourself.

Very short-sighted, so to speak.  :]

:DeN

--
Philosophers, as things now stand, are all too fond of offering
criticism from on high instead of studying and understanding things