sam,

US history classes teach a very biased view of history, its
triumphalism to the extreme at times. for instance little or no
mention of the invasions of Canada during the American revolution, the
War of 1812, and the various Fenian raids. When the War of 1812 is
mentioned, its mostly New Orleans in 1815 and a few naval battles.
Nothing about the Niagara or North West Campaigns, or destruction of
the towns along the Frontier in the middle of winter or the Indian
massacres.

I've just finished reviewing one textbook that was simply odious in
the way it treated the time period from 1756 through 1820, and this
one is currently used in many states.