"While there may be a legal difference, in practice it's the exact same
thing.  Assessing property tax in a way that favors yourself and at another
group's expense."

You do realize that most people vote in a way that favors themselves?
Anyway, at the time of the vote, everyone got the benefit.  There was no
other group to screw.  Only future buyers were screwed.

Damn!  Sounds kind of like social security.  Also reminds me of how payroll
deduction of income taxes was implemented.

"I've been to both Riverside and Sacramento.  The price may be good to buy a
cheap house, but I'm not sure I could stand living there."

I've never been to CA.  Maybe this summer.  My family and I have a 2 week
vacation to AZ planned.  We might make a day trip over the border.