Funny you should mention that. I was listening this morning to NPR and
a discussion about Massey Energy - the coal company that had that huge
mine explosion. About five years ago West Virginia Mines and Safety
imposed a huge fine on the company over a huge list of mine safety
violations.  Massey took the state to court, and lost. In between the
court case and the appeal there was an election for the WV supreme
court. Massey funded the election bid of one candidate who won and
guess who was on the bench to hear the Massey appeal. Needless to say
Massey won that appeal