On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Cameron Childress <camer...@gmail.com>wrote:

> How about this - let the government grant civil unions to any two
> individuals who want the legal benefits (and burdens) of being
> contractually bound to another person, heterosexual or otherwise.

No civil unions without a series of classes, because a lawful civil union is
exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about "marriage".

> Then if you want to be married, go to a church.  Let the church
> control marriage as a ritual and they can force you to go to all the
> classes and jump through all the hoops they want.

The people who jumped through all the hoops are MUCH more likely to remain
married.  I think that's the point. Religion gets hokie when it comes to
marriages, but they got one thing right about it: stop,think,
prepare...before doing it.

--
The suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dream of youth