There are much better options for biodiesel...there is a bean if I remember
correctly that is very sustainable and easy to grow that is great for making
biodiesel...I wish I could remember the name so I could pass on the
article...it was a fascinating article too.  The main problem with food
production is that we are paying our farmers not to produce.  If we would
end those subsidies...have them produce what they can and feed everyone
first...take the excess and devote that to fuels and also use other sources
for biodiesel and methanol, we would be fine.  I think the problem is that
we are not devoting enough resources to setting up the infrastructure that
would drive sales of vehicles that ran on these alternative fuels.  Seems
like there is a lot of talk about them, but no real action to get this up
and running.

I think Obama passed up a golden opportunity to push the green agenda with
the cash for clunkers and the car maker bailout.  What should have been done
is buy every American a AFV/hybrid car...you turn in your old cars for
these.  The car makers get bailed out because people are buying the cars
through this government program and you are still getting the older, less
efficient cars off the road. At the same time, push the oil industry into
providing the appropriate fueling stations at their gas stations so we can
eventually phase out gas based cars all together. I think that would have
been a win-win for all.

Eric