We discussed this before implementing the user account feature in our cart,
and decided to require the information before checking out. We also never
store the credit card number at all. There are a few practical
considerations. First, real time shipping requires accurate zip code and
country data. Humans make typos. Having an account in place before checkout
with a validation process can remove complexity and considerable amounts of
time once into the checkout process.

Secondly, I personally probably spend more money online than off (if you
take out cigs and coke :)), but I would not continue to buy from a place
that made me type in all of my information continually, and if two places
have the same item, even if the site which has a longer checkout time has a
lower price, I'll go for the more expensive, less time consuming way. I have
an unwritten rule that I will pay $20 for convienience. What that means is
that if you have a more convienient checkout, at least with me, you can have
a better profit margin.
Is someone really serious about buying something if they are not willing to
type in their information into the site? They have to give you their
information either way...

The last bit of reasoning I fall back on is based on my time answering
phones from people interested in buying what we were selling. Anytime you
have to put a person on hold to get a piece of info, always get a phone
number. Not only do you have their phone number just in case, the person on
the other line has now entered into a transaction with you and is in the
buying mode, and are much less likely to hang up. Basic sales...

jon