From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:35 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Chandra Levy

At least they'll finally have some resolution.

Now why did they leave so much territory uncovered apparently when they
searched for her last year?

This from a friend on another list, taken from an article:

May 22 - A man walking his dog and searching for turtles in a Washington
park today found the corpse of missing government intern Chandra Levy after
his pet uncovered the young woman's skull, police said.
Metropolitan Police Chief Charles Ramsey told a news conference this evening
that the medical examiner used dental records to determine the remains are
those of the 24-year-old missing intern, who disappeared more than a year
ago.
Medical examiners have yet to determine the cause or time of death.
"We have received word from the medical examiner that the remains discovered
this morning are in fact Chandra Levy," Ramsey said. "This was based on
dental records. The cause of death is pending. ... We'd like to extend our
condolences to the family."
This morning, the man walking his dog while looking for turtles found the
skull after his dog started digging in some leaves in the expansive, heavily
wooded park in the Northwest section of the nation's capital, Ramsey said.
The young woman's body had apparently been in the park for a long time, and
the bones were not all in one location, Ramsey said.
He said that remnants of materials consistent with women's clothing were
found near the bones, but he declined to elaborate. Sources told ABCNEWS
that jogging gear and a portable cassette player were among the items found.
Ramsey said investigators did not know right now whether the area where the
remains were found was where Levy died or whether the body had been moved.
Investigators, he said, would continue to probe the area.
The remains were found in dense foliage in an area away from commonly used
paths, police said. Levy lived in an apartment near Rock Creek Park, and
police searched the park shortly after her disappearance last May.
Police searched the park three times last July, covering more than 1,700
acres, Ramsey said. That left more than 1,000 acres unsearched, apparently
including the area where the corpse was found today.
Levys Mourn
Ramsey said Susan and Robert Levy, the young woman's parents, learned of the
identification of the remains while watching the news, despite his efforts
to make sure they were informed first.
The Levys, who conducted an interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier today
before being told about the discovery, have had no public comment. Their
attorney, George Arata, said the family was not ready to give an immediate
formal statement but would give one through their attorneys at around 7:30
p.m. ET.

One additional note, from the same article: [Gary Condit]  has had no public
comment on today's discovery and his office said there would not be one