In a world of Star Trek, Joss Whedon (and Strazynski) has been my hero.
 He has no problems killing characters or forcing traumatic events upon
 them. We see character development, with no "Star Trek: The Reset Button(tm)".
 We see the "good" characters doing bad things. He also shows the
 "unfairness" of life. He's not afraid to damage things in order to
 advance his story.

  .....<sigh>....I am SUCH a geek......