On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:

> Go look at a 5 year Dow graph please.
>
> Beginning of Sept 2005, Dow was 10,200 and change.
> Beginning of Sept 2010, Dow is at 10,200 and change.
>
> Yes, that means that the market is unchanged for a 5 year look. On the
> other hand, the market bottomed out at 6,600 in March of 2009. That
> means that, in a year and a half, the market has gone up by 4,000
> points. During a recession. Now tell me again how the market isn't
> doing fine?

Take a look at this guy's argument. He calls 2000-2010 the worst
financial decade in history, and he has pretty good evidence as to
why.

http://fdralloveragain.blogspot.com/2010/01/2000-2010-worst-financial-decade-since.html

---
The 1930-40 Dow dropped a whopping 40%, but the Fed only stole 58% of
the dollar's buying power as measured by the rise in the gold price.
Net charge to Americans: a WWII-inducing 65% loss.

2000-2010 took a 15% price plunk on top of a
momma-better-start-working -77% dollar pancake, also measured by gold
priced in dollars. Net charge to Americans: a brutal 81% loss.

And that's after kicking out 10 of 30 Dow components between 2000 and
2010 for poor performance.

Our previous decade's steep spike in gold price indicates that the
great majority of America's 2000-10 loss was exported to the private,
multi-national Federal Reserve bank. Physical wealth exported.
Worthless paper imported. In other words, let me steal 90% of your
stuff and I will append a zero to your currency prices so your "net
worth" doesn't change.
---

> Business investment in the US starts with consumer demand. Agreed?
> What increase there has been in consumer demand has been absorbed
> through excess production capacity. Agreed?
> Hiring and capital investment will occur only when consumer demand
> outpaces excess production capacity and productivity increases.
> Agreed?
>
> Now, tell me how tax cuts for the rich will increase consumer demand.

People in the upper income brackets account for 1/3 of all consumer
spending. That's why you can't raise their taxes without having the
economy take a pounding.