Nouriel Roubini has a decent Op-Ed in the Washington Post today
proposing a plan to use the revenues gained from letting the tax cuts
for those making 250K a year expire to pay for a payroll tax cut for
small and medium sized businesses. His arguments on job stimulus
effect seem pretty sound to me but he doesn't really touch on the
issue of consumer demand which ultimately drives a lot of the economy.
However, I think that anything that decreases the unemployment rate
will increase consumer demand, so his argument about how to make it
cheaper for businesses to hire and how to get money into workers
pockets quicker (by reducing the payroll tax) makes quite a bit of
sense. Not sure if it is too late in the game to change the proposals
floating around Congress but this seems like a fairly solid idea to
me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091605846.html