This is what one of your heroes says about Ms. O'Donnell:

Faulty fairy dust
Krauthammer: The endorsement of O'Donnell by DeMint and Palin was
reckless and irresponsible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091604899.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The Buckley rule
By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, September 17, 2010; A19

Tuesday in Delaware was a bad day not only for Republicans but also
for conservatives. Tea Partyer Christine O'Donnell scored a stunning
victory over establishment Republican Mike Castle. Stunning but
pyrrhic. The very people who have most alerted the country to the
perils of President Obama's social democratic agenda may have just
made it impossible for Republicans to retake the Senate and
definitively stop that agenda.

Bill Buckley -- no Mike Castle he -- had a rule: Support the most
conservative candidate who is electable.

A timeless rule of sober politics, and particularly timely now. This
is no ordinary time. And this is no ordinary Democratic
administration. It is highly ideological and ambitious. It is
determined to use whatever historical window it is granted to change
the country structurally, irreversibly. It has already done so with
Obamacare and has equally lofty ambitions for energy, education,
immigration, taxation, industrial policy and the composition of the
Supreme Court.

That's what makes the eleventh-hour endorsements of O'Donnell by Sen.
Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and Sarah Palin so reckless and irresponsible.

Of course Mike Castle is a liberal Republican. What do you expect from
Delaware? A DeMint? Castle voted against Obamacare and the stimulus.
Yes, he voted for cap-and-trade. That's batting .667. You'd rather
have a Democrat who bats .000 and who might give the Democrats the
50th vote to control the Senate?

Castle wasn't only electable. He was unbeatable. Why do you think Beau
Biden, long groomed to inherit his father's seat, flinched from
running? Because Castle, who had already won statewide races a dozen
times, scared him off. Democrats had already given up on the race.

O'Donnell, a lifelong activist who has twice lost statewide races, is
very problematic. It is not that the Republican establishment
denigrates her chances -- virtually every nonpartisan electoral
analyst from Charlie Cook to Larry Sabato to Stuart Rothenberg has her
losing in November.

Nor is opposition to O'Donnell's candidacy a sign of hostility or
disrespect to the Tea Party. Many of those who wanted to see Castle
nominated in Delaware have from the beginning defended the Tea Party
movement from the mainstream media's scurrilous portrayal of it as a
racist rabble of resentful lumpenproletarians. Indeed, it is among the
most vigorous and salutary grass-roots movements of our time,
dedicated to a genuine constitutionalism from which the country has
strayed far.

And its complaint that it is often taken for granted by the Republican
establishment (interestingly parallel to the often-heard African
American community's complaint against the Democratic Party) is not to
be dismissed. Tea Partyers should not, as many of them fear, simply be
used by the Republican Party as a source of electoral energy while
their own candidates are ignored and dismissed. But the question is:
Which of their candidates?

Marco Rubio in Florida is strong, serious, dynamic. He has a great
future as a Republican leader. Joe Miller, who upset the Murkowski
dynasty in Alaska, is a man of remarkable achievement: West Point
graduate, decorated veteran, judge. Both will win.

Moreover, geography matters. Rand Paul may not be the best candidate
in the world -- it is not a very good idea to start your general
election campaign by expressing reservations about the Civil Rights
Act -- but he is running in Kentucky. He will almost certainly win.

Delaware is not Kentucky. If Republicans want to be a national party,
they cannot write off the Northeast, whose Republicanism is of a
distinctly moderate variety. Scott Brown broke Republican ranks to
vote for Obama's financial reform. Are conservatives going to now run
him out of the Senate? Wasn't it just eight months ago that his
victory in Massachusetts was hailed as a turning point in the campaign
to stop the Obama agenda?

You don't stop that agenda by nominating an O'Donnell in Delaware and
turning a Senate seat from safe Republican to safe Democratic.

If DeMint and Palin want to show that helping O'Donnell over the top
-- she won late and by six points -- wasn't a capricious spreading of
fairy dust, perhaps they should go to Delaware now and get her elected
to the Senate.

You made it possible. Now make it happen. I would be happy to be
proved wrong about O'Donnell's electability -- I want Republicans to
win that 51st seat. Stay in Delaware and show us you were right. The
beaches are said to be lovely in the fall.

lett...@charleskrauthammer.com