>I see alot of people looking at this from a very small, personal,
individualized, "I'm an Apple hater" point of view.

I admit I'm an Apple hater. Their products are overhyped, overpriced,
and no better than what I use. Actually, in my opinion, OSX is a hell of
a lot more painful to use than Linux or even Windows.

>As far as existing video chat software, you could say the same about
iTunes.  There are other MP3 players out there.  Before the iPod there
were
others, there remain others - but Apple has a HUGE share now.  You can
bash
them all you want and they will laugh all the way to the bank.

Before the iPod there were MP3 players, true. But there was nothing like
iTunes before they brought it to the market. By tying it to the iPod
from the get go they made the iPod THE MP3 player to have. I acknowledge
that bit of genius freely, but I'd still rather not pay twice as much
just to get my player and store all integrated.

>From a strategic point of view, consider this...  Apple didn't bundle
Facetime with iChat, or with iTunes.  It's an independent app they are
developing as a standalone mac app.  Now, I may be totally wrong about
why,
but it seems that this decoupling makes it MUCH easier to port that one
little app over to N number of platforms without having to drag along
iTunes, iChat, and the rest.

Yes, but they're entering an already large market with an already
dominant player. This is more like OSX vs Windows than iPod & iTunes vs
all the other MP3 players that only a few people had ten years ago.

>So...  Yes, there are other video clients out there.  In fact iChat has
had
video conferencing for a number of years (since 2002/2003?).  BUT....
When
Apple puts it's marketing machine behind an idea, whether it be cell
phones,
music players, tablets, of just a laptop, that old thing is suddenly new
again.

*Shrug* People are lemmings when it comes to Apple products. They've
always waited for a market to fail before putting their marketing
machine to work before. This is different.

>I think Apple is positioned perfectly to drop Facetime onto a number of
platforms, make it (seem) "easier to use", and give their special spin
on
it, and completely disrupt what you see as a mature and stable existing
video chat market.  This about Facetime on Apple TV, for example.

Apple TV isn't widespread enough to help Facetime. I could see Facetime
helping make Apple TV something you can talk about without causing
people to ask what it is, but not the other way around.

>Facetime on the iPhone and Mac is the tip of the sword that they could
shove
deep into the market within the next 12 months if they want to.

We'll see. I find it more likely that in 12 months this will be a video
chat program that only iPhone and Mac users have even though it's been
released for Windows.