"Yet as others have observed, if you asked the right questions the great
bulk of Americans would say they are both liberal and conservative –
socially liberal, that is, but fiscally conservative."

As well as Krugman shutting up, I agree with this line.

-

08-11-2009:  I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter, because,
frankly, we historically have had a employer-based system in this country,
with private insurers, and for us to transition to a system like that, I
believe would be too disruptive.

03-24-2007:  My commitment is to make sure that we've got universal
healthcare for all Americans by the end of my first term as president. I
would hope that we could set up a system that allows those who can't go
through their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some
sort.  But I don't think we're going to be able to eliminate employer
coverage immediately. There's going to be potentially some transition
process. I can envision a decade out, or 15 years out, or 20 years out.    -
Barack Obama

06-30-2003:  A single-payer health care plan, a universal health care plan.
That's what I’d like to see.