On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Larry C. Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com>wrote:

> You have to admit the toys are a real nice bit of conditioning on the
> part of McDonalds.
>
> What I don't understand is that when people have tantrums over this
> sort of thing, but have absolutely no qualms about letting private
> corporations do the same to them.
>
> For instance, Kid really wants the toy. Through advertising etc the
> kid is convinced they must have it (all their friends got one etc). So
> he nags the parents until they relent. Then McDonalds for the cost of
> some advertising and cheap plastic gets 4 or 5 sales out of it. In
> addition to the positive reinforcer of the toy, the kid gets a sugar
> rush (positive hedonic reinforcer) from the soft drink and the carbs
> in the food, so he's more likely to want to come back again.
>
> So you have no problem with this sort of conditioning, but you do have
> a problem with the local government wanting to limit the consumption
> of flavoured sugar water and useless carbohydrates in a very open
> manner, unlike what McDonald's does.

I know you are aren't directing this at me, but in a word: Yes.

Are we, or are we not, a FREE country?

There is nothing subversive about what Micky D's is doing. They server junk
food. We KNOW they serve junk food. it is up to us whether we want to eat
that junk for or not. Micky D's is in the business of getting us to eat as
much junk food as they can.

We ALWAYS have the choice not to eat there.

Give me freedom any day over this nanny state crap.