I admit I am a little surprised, even with all the Republican gains, that
this guy was elected president of the senate.

I guess we know which way the legislature is likely to lean this next
session.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2010/11/03/immigration-hawk-pearce-elected-president-of-arizona-senate/

Sen. Russell Pearce will lead the Arizona Senate next year after colleagues
elected him to be president of the chamber during a closed-door meeting Nov.
3.

Pearce defeated Sen. Steve Pierce and Senators-elect Steve Yarbrough and
John McComish. All four had been rounding up votes for months in
anticipation of the leadership elections. Until now, it wasn’t clear which
candidate had the edge, although many sources were saying Yarbrough appeared
to have the most support prior to the Nov. 2 elections.